Sunday, April 26, 2009

Golden Polish!





So one thing that I have been looking forward to when we get to move is being able to have chickens. When I was younger my aunt and uncle had chickens on their ranch in California. I loved to collect the eggs when I was younger and even have a scar on my tight where a chicken jumped up and bit me while I was in their pen collecting the eggs. Despite this scarred memory I have a dream of having my own chickens at our house. 

Last night we were over for dinner at our friends Rick and Cara's house. Rick recently bought 25 Rhode Island Reds by mail (very odd to me that you can mail live chicks!) Early on they noticed that one of the chicks looked different than the rest. She was affectionately named Odd Ball. Now that odd ball has gotten older I did a little research and discovered that she is a Golden Polish exotic chicken! I think they are so cute! This is the kind of chicken I want to get. Odd Ball spend the evening last night lounging in my hand while we played dominoes. Odd Ball spends most of the time separated from the other chickens because they are large than her and peck at her constantly because she is different. Talk about chicken discrimination! I think they are just jealous that she is so darn cute!



1 comment:

  1. Chickens really? Well I hope that they are as much fun as you remember. The Ducks are getting huge and will soon be moving to our house from Tims. I'll let you know how that goes. I can't believe how fast the chickens and ducks are growing. We have had them for just over 2 weeks and they have tripled in size. Also did you know you can get Bees in the mail- that seems much more dangerous than mailing chickens. Love the Blog! Keep up the good work and post pics soon!

    ReplyDelete